9/17/12

One's Title

The Conscious Cataclysm 
An Apperception Of I

Conscious:
Aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts,surroundings.
Fully aware of or sensitive to something.
Having the mental faculties fully active, and aware of what one is doing.

Cataclysm:
Any violent upheaval.

Apperception:
Conscious perception.
The act or process of apperceiving, or perceiving.
The manner in which we receive a thing into our minds.

The Conscious Cataclysm is a place where I can share the things I'm feeling and what I'm learning about myself. Who I am, and why I'm here. My impressions are often cryptic, coming slowly and quietly, brought on by poems, song lyrics, or artwork. Other times; however, my feelings come quickly and violently brought on by a painful memory.



Emotion regulation is a big part of my life. In order to do that I have to first identify the prompting event, my interpretation of the prompting event, and the emotion it creates. I also have to watch the action urge the emotion causes. Every impression that comes in from without, be it a sentence which we hear, an object of vision, a scent or a touch, no sooner enters our consciousness than it is drafted off in some determinate direction or other, making connection with the other materials already there and thus interpreting it. The interpretation of these impressions or prompting events produces an emotion and in turn a reaction. The particular connections it strikes into are determined by our past experiences and memories. The whole process happens so quickly it generally creates an automatic feeling, without us even thinking about it. A prompting event doesn't have to be an impression from our physical environment. It can also be a memory, a thought, or even another feeling. It is the interpretation of the event that prompts the emotion, and an emotion creates an action urge.

Some, if not all, of my posts are done in an effort to deal with the emotions created by some prompting event in my life.