11/27/07

And Days Of Uncertainty

"...a perfect example of a man being how he is because he's always telling himself the story of how he is." From: The Man Who Fell In Love With The Moon, by Tom Spanbauer.

I haven't posted in quite awhile because these have indeed been days of uncertainty. I have had things going on in my life that I wasn't ready to deal with myself, much less put into a public forum. What better way could there be to take them out and honestly examine them than to bring them into the light of day; what better way is there to stop them from going round and round in my head like a hampster on an endless exercise wheel?

One of the first things that has really been bothering me is the way people with disabilities and mental illnesses are treated by people in authority. Health professionals, secretarys, bank officials, people who are trained in these matters and ought to know better. My concerns have been trivialized. I have been used and manipulated. Stolen from. Patronized. I'm really so very tired of it. It has happened even from people I thought I could trust and thought were my friends.

The way I was denied pain medication for a legitimate back injury because of my history of narcotics abuse. Unable to look past what was written in my history and into my eyes filled with pain and x-rays showing evidence of the cause. Legitimate medical complaints trivialized and thought to be a symptom of "hysteria" brought about by my problems with anxiety. Leaving a doctor's office feeling as though I had been "blown off" as another stereotypical nutcase, and knowing I hadn't even been heard by one person in that office because of their preconceived notions.

I start my inteferon injections and ribovarin treatment next Monday in an attempt to treat my Hepatitis C. I have a 50% chance of the treatment working and the process has serious side effects. I have to tell you I'm scared. I must tell you, the first thing one of us who suffer from addictions feels, when we're faced with such unpleasant emotions, is to get high and not feel at all. And that has happened to me recently unfortunately. I am tempted. For the first time in years I want to get so high I don't think about it. That scares me worst of all. I am slowly dying from this disease and what do I want to do but speed it along. And quite frankly I want to live.

I think now about all the years I've spent in therapy groups and counseling sessions listening to lectures on learning coping skills. I remember being so defiant, trying not to listen. Saying to myself, "This is a load of horseshit. This could never work. What a crock. These techniques won't work for me. My problems are far worse than the ones they are illustrating." Well, without my knowledge, and certainly without my consent, some of those very techniques seeped in. And I use them almost intuitively now. They have even adapted to my own particular circumstances, and evolved into new ones. Without them I would never make it.

My advice, for anyone reading this that might be starting or is involved in these type therapy sessions and who might be saying the very things I did is, "Shut up! Listen! Fight the idea if you must, but just sit there and listen. And go back and listen some more." One day you might find, as I did, that they just might help you help yourself live.

Enjoy life...