5/25/14

Sympathy For The Devil

Ever since the moon started waning I've been working on letting go of some things that are just not working in my life and things that I feel are holding me back. Among some of those things are negative self talk, and drinking alcohol.

Back in my teens, twenties, and early thirties I drank quite heavily and pretty much every day. Something happened though and the desire to drink was completely taken away from me. I no longer even had a taste for it. I simply didn't want it. It was really weird and could almost be described as being something of a miracle. I didn't drink from my early thirties until just recently and I started drinking a little wine because I felt that would be okay. Wrong...it gave the taste for alcohol back to me.

Like I said I've been working on letting it go along with negative self talk. Something really strange happened in my mind this morning that I want to share with you. I had gotten up really super early....like 3 am early...anyway, I decided to see who was online on a website that men in my area use to hook up. I started talking to a man and found out that he lives near me. There was a problem though....neither of us drive. He was afraid to walk to my place because I live in a pretty rough area of the city. I'm used to it...I've been down on this level for a long time and have become pretty street wise. Actually, I have gotten to know most of the crackheads and prostitutes around here. I was trying to decide if I wanted to walk to his place. I told him that I couldn't make up my mind and he asked me what it would take to convince me. I thought, "Well now..." I told him that I thought that was an interesting, intriguing question. He offered to give me a couple of beers when I got there to rejuvenate me from the exertion of walking there. That did it for me....a chance to hook up and have a few beers....yee haa....

When I got there, the man had a really nice house with expensive stuff all around. He's nice looking and super intelligent and after the dirty deed I'm sitting there drinking my fourth beer in the span of like an hour and we're talking. We had a really good conversation. I found out that he does conflict resolution for law firms, has traveled extensively, and several other facts that made me want to be in his reality instead of the one I'm in. I finished my beer and told him that I had better start walking back home. I started walking and I had a damned good buzz going on. I was making my way through the city back home and suddenly a song popped into my mind. Just the first line....I couldn't remember any more of the lyrics. That first line just kept playing over and over. Please allow me to introduce myself, please allow me to introduce myself. The sun had just started coming up and I'm walking past some of the bars downtown when I started noticing really large cigarette butts on the sidewalk. I've been homeless before and not had any money and have resorted at times to picking up butts like that and smoking them so I started picking up the ones I saw this morning and sticking them in my jacket pocket for hard times.

Enter the negative self talk... I'm not going to go into all that my mind was saying to me but it wasn't good and I knew it but couldn't stop it. All the time that one lyric was playing in the background of all the negative chatter going on. Please allow me to introduce myself, please allow me to introduce myself. I was almost home when I caught a glance of the crescent moon. I remembered how I had intended to let go of the drinking and negative self talk and here I was doing both. I actually started shaking my head and kinda doing hand motions like I was shaking it all off. I did that several times and said out loud while nobody was around, "Shake it off....let it go..."

I got back in my apartment and I sat down at the computer and googled the song lyrics I had been hearing. Turned out it was an old Rolling Stones song...."Sympathy For The Devil." A song about Lucifer introducing himself to somebody. Pretty creepy huh? Now I'm trying to think what the hell that could mean. Did it mean something or was it just a weird coincidence or something? I don't know yet....what do you think? Shake it off...let it go....shake it off....let it go...