8/28/14

Gratitude From A Hat

My therapist and I are starting to get into some of the issues I still carry from the events that led up to my years of homelessness. We talked about how it would be a good thing to try and find something positive about what happened. She wanted me to find a way to creatively express it. The best way to start the process is for me to make a list of some of my thoughts about the time I spent homeless.

I met two of the dearest, closest friends I've ever had in my life. One with a huge white puff-ball on her head, and the other a little lost girl that played with fire.

I was able to go back to school long enough to learn the computer skills I have now.

I met quite a few extraordinary people. Some who were truly of the earth. Some very brave and courageous. Some had wills of fire, Some were simply noble. Some were bad. Some were downright evil. Some were funny. Some were hilarious, and there were the few that were bat shit crazy.

There's a price for everything. People aren't very willing to do anything for you  for free. The key question being, "What's in it for me?"

Unlike Blanche from, "A Streetcar Named Desire," I have not been able to rely on the kindness of strangers

The chilly, rainy days when there was no place to go. When being wet and miserable just had to be accepted. When you're huddled on the doorstep of an out-of-the-way place in town, and things look their bleakest. You realize just how alone you really are.

I had the wonderful opportunity to test my vocation for six months in a Russian Orthodox Christian Monastery that used to be in Georgia.

You ALWAYS have to watch your back.
.