8/6/07

Another Day in the Life...

Unfortunately, it's been another one of those days where I find myself with nothing to write about. I've surfed the internet and the waves are calm today, nothing much happening that I could see. There has been a development involving the crisis in Darfur. Representatives from the UN, the African Union, and all but one of the rebel factions are meeting in Tanzania to discuss a platform and timeline for peace talks. The SLM, the rebel faction refusing to participate, feels there's no use to discuss politics while the violence is still going on. They say they'll take part in the talks only when they see the UN peacekeeping force. That's a hopeful start to healing I suppose.

I just got a really nice book about butterflies I thought of writing about. It's interesting to know that, as they fly, the flapping of their wings creates little vortexs, little tornadoes, as they flitter along. How cool is that? They have some really wild names too: the red and blue cattleheart, the southern dogface, the harvester, the ruddy daggerwing, the guatemalan satyr, the painted lady, the question mark, the blue crow, okay tell me to shut up.

It seemed though that even with the other ideas I considered today, my mind kept going back to the woods. That sounds kind of strange. I guess I should explain myself. In my hometown you have only to walk out your door to be in the woods. Or at least a short walk away. I grew up in the woods. All my dreams, imagination, creativity, and thoughts about God were born there, and on top of the beautiful mountains surrounding Waynesville, NC.

When I go into the woods I always feel connected to some powerful force of creation, a peaceful nourishing calm force. I can replenish what is depleted while coping with the daily stress in life. Since I've moved to Asheville, it's a little more difficult for me to get back into the woods. Don't get me wrong, Asheville is blessed with an abundance of woodland areas. The problem is I don't drive.

I've found a way to get around that though. I'm not sure if it's because the woods are so much a part of me, or if anyone can do this. I can picture the woods clearly in my mind. I can see the path in; I can see and feel the stones beneath my boots. I can smell the trees and see the creek coming up on my right. The soft cool breeze against my face as I round the bend feeds my soul. I see a fallen tree that calls to me, "Come, sit with me awhile." I hear a small animal scurry away in the bushes as I say, "Let me rest here," and I do. The rest of nymphs and angels. I can feel a sense of peace just writing this. I hope you can too. Take some time this week to go to the woods, even if only in your mind. Enjoy life...