8/7/07

True Friendship

I'd like to share an email I got the other day from my friend Poofy. Poofy by the way, is a nickname I gave her because of the hat she had on the first time I saw her. We met quite a few years ago when circumstances found us both homeless and in the same shelter. We quickly became friends and that friendship has grown through the years. It now sees us both independent and living in our own apartments. I'm not sure where she got this, it doesn't really matter. If you knew both of us though, you'd understand how fitting it is. She really is a true friend and I know she considers me one as well. This is the email:

I'm getting tired of all those namby-pamby, soppy, sickeningly sweet, and completely wet "friendship" poems, that never come close to reality. NO ONE is that perfect . . . So, here are promises that really speak to true friendship:

1 . When you are sad - I will help you get drunk and plot revenge against the sorry bastard who made you that way.
2. When you are blue - I will try to dislodge whatever is choking you.
3. When you smile - I will know you've finally had sex.
4. When you are scared - I will tease the crap out of you about it every chance I get.
5. When you are worried - I will tell you horrible stories about how much worse it could be and to stop your bloody whining.
6. When you are confused - I will use only little words.
7. When you are sick - Stay the hell away from me until you are well again, I don't want whatever you have.
8. When you fall - I will point and laugh at your clumsiness.

This is my oath. To be your friend until the end. Above all remember: A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body. Let me know if I ever need to bring a shovel.