9/26/07

What Do You Think?

If any of you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know that I've had some struggles with religion. I recently read a synopsis of Richard Dawkin's book, The God Delusion, and although I don't consider myself to be an atheist, I found that I shared quite a few of his ideas. After seeing a video of a lecture he did in Lynchburg, Virginia, I was even more convinced in a lot he was saying.

This must be the year of the Atheist, because not long after discovering Dawkin's book and lecture, I ran across the author Christopher Hitchens on a talk show promoting his book, God Is Not Great. It seemed his ideas were less based on science and reason and more on personal opinion, but still, I found myself following and agreeing with what he was saying.

I ordered both books, and I just received my copy of Hitchens' book. As I started reading, it made me remember a disturbing story I read on the abc news blog. It kind of scared the s*** out of me, and made me realize that Christian fundamentalists (and all religions for that matter) are trying to encourage armageddon, they are racing to get there with fire and blood in their eyes. They can't wait for the end of the earth, not only so they can reap their just and heavenly rewards, but so they'll be proven right. "See There? We tried to tell you heathens! Now, all 'a' ya'll are gonna burn in hell!"

What if all of these fools are wrong? All the end-time prophecies could be nothing more than myth and superstition. They could be forcing us into something that doesn't even have to happen. A sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. What do you think?

Enjoy life guys while we can...