7/5/07

Clarification

(*** Shortly after the one year anniversary of this blog I decided to go back through some of my journal posts. I feel it is necessary to tell you that over the course of the year I made the decision to leave the Russian Orthodox Church. In fact, I made the decision to break from all organized religion. I came to the personal conclusion that, even though I believe in God, all religion is man-made myth. ***)

I think I need to explain just a little bit about my understanding of the position of the Orthodox Church on homosexuality. This is my take on it, and how I TRY to deal with it. I hope I don't get excommunicated or something. I may be in store for some stiff penance. As I understand it, homosexuality is not a sin, it is an extra cross we have to bear, and we should consider it a blessing that we have an even greater chance of proving our love and obedience to our God, by doing that very thing, bearing it. It IS a sin to express it. Okay, here's how I interpret expressing it. I can be Gay. I just can't have sex. I have no choice being Gay, there's nothing I can do about it. I don't have to beat myself up with shame and guilt. I say that with conviction in this post; but really, out here, I still struggle with it. I'm a little concerned that my posts here about being Gay and proud of it might be construed as being expression. They'd be right; I suppose. I guess I'm in denial. But really, isn't celibacy enough of a sacrifice? I think so. Unless I'm told otherwise by my Priest, that's what I'm running with. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I mean come on, it's not like I'm going to wear a skirt to church, discuss Gay Pride with another parishoner, or take homemade cherry yum-yum for trapeza. Bringing the food for the meal after Liturgy is traditionally a woman's responsibility. I'm sure some of you Ladies might have problems with that; I'm sorry, I sympathize, and I agree, but I have my own struggles. So, there you have it. I hope that clears it up. I hope you understand, and if you don't, I hope you can practice tolerance.