7/21/07

Time For Confession

As the weekend approaches it's time once again for me to prepare for confession. I know many of you would think, after reading some of my posts, "Why should he go to confession if he's just going to do the same things, and write all this nonsense about being gay and other religions when he gets back home?" Good question. I asked myself the same thing until my priest gave me a little book called, "The Forgotten Medicine: The Mystery of Confession," by Archimandrite Seraphim Aleksiev. When posed the question, "...Why should I confess when I know that tomorrow I will sin again?," He responds:

"This objection to Confession contains both something which is very true and something which is not. The right thing here is the desire not to sin anymore after Confession. But we are feeble humans, and we cannot attain right away such a firmness which makes falling into voluntary sins impossible. If we cannot reach such steadfastness in virtue right away, should we surrender to vice? Or should we stop confessing? Which is better - to roll in the mud of the spiritual swamp, or to pick yourself up after each fall and go on with the hope that someday you may reach the solid and beautiful shore of virtue? If you do not confess, you remain in the mud. If you confess, you pick yourself up from the mud and clean yourself. 'But why should I get up if tomorrow I know I will fall again?' the questioner asks. When you fall again, then get up again! Every day begins all over again! This is undoubtedly better than falling out of the habit of getting up...the 'getting up' - this is Confession.

'But why should we play at falling and getting up?' ask some. It is not a game, but a struggle in which there is much sense. If we, as feeble humans, fall but get up again, there is a great probability that death will find us when we are standing. Then we are saved. But if we do not intend to get up, death will surely find us lying in the mud. Then we are lost forever."

I have stated before in earlier posts of my own struggles and conflicts. I truly hope that the words of Archimandrite Aleksiev cover my situation. I like to think so. I sometimes worry about true repentance though, but I'm not going to go into that.

Many of my friends, and one of my therapists especially, can't understand. They ask me why I try to fit my triangle self into a round Orthodox hole. They want me to embrace my true "Beautiful" self and the new enlightened thinking. Truly, sometimes, I don't know, the suggestions of my friends would certainly be easier. I don't want to go into that right now either.