7/27/07

Purely Festive

I want to thank all those that got in touch with me after my "Things That Make You Go Hummm" post. I really must apologize to everyone for using this public forum to vent and air my dirty laundry. I'm going to have to realize that religion as a whole is a conundrum that I will never figure out until I meet my maker. Life must be a multicursal maze, but there's no mythical minotaur ready to devour me if I stumble and wander around awhile. I just need to chill for a bit.
Now on to my main topic...I really try my best to not have a blog where I write stuff like, "Well, I went to the store today and saw Billy Bob..." but today I can't help it. For those of you who have never been in Asheville for Bele Chere you're really missing it. It's just great. But if you ever do decide to come, be prepared. Rain is as much a tradition as the festival itself. Everyone that comes though knows it's going to happen and rain gear is always ready. Somehow though the rain makes it even better. It always blows on through and the fun just picks back up like nothing happened.

Today was no exception. I saw Jeff Pittman's booth and was headed that way, but regrettably a massive storm hit and I had to run for cover. All the vendors and artists were hurrying to cover everything up. Tarps were flying. I finally found a building with a good sized awning near the main celebration stage. The storm was raging, streaks of lightning, booming thunder, wind whipping through the city streets. All of a sudden a band took to the stage early and at top volume started playing REO Speedwagon's song, "Ridin' The Storm Out." It was so great. You really should have been there.

Like I said before, the storm moved on through and everyone came out of the shelters they had found. I had originally planned on staying and seeing 13 Stories and The Gin Blossoms, but I decided to come on back home. On my way though I passed another stage where a band was getting ready to perform. It was a band from Jackson County, a bit deeper in the mountains than we are, and they were all young kids. I decided to stop and see how they did. Man...they started playing bluegrass like nobody's business. I'm not much of a bluegrass fan but I know talent when I see or hear it. When they started playing, "Hallelujah, I'm Ready To Go," though I had to leave because I almost started crying. Isn't that embarrassing? The song reminded me so much of my Mother and Grandmother both of whom have passed away. They loved bluegrass, and my Mother was known to start clogging sometimes when she got excited. I'm going to close now, Man it's been a great day. Enjoy life...