7/6/07

Coming To Terms With Intolerance

Something happened to me after a family picnic that my family and I had on the 3rd to celebrate Independence day. It has taken me this long to really think about it and decide why it upset me so. I think I'm ready to share it. I was riding back home with my Aunt and Uncle when we got into a discussion about a popular alternative rock band that was playing in town. Actually, it was the Smashing Pumpkins who have been in town for a nine day stay.

While riding by the crowd waiting to attend the concert, my Aunt had seen some young people that she felt were dressed inappropriately, and what's worse she had overheard some language she felt was vulger and "bad". She seemed to be saying that the people were evil. My Uncle and I like the Smashing Pumkins and Alternative Rock, and my Aunt is a staunch Southern Baptist who considers rock music as bad as the vulgar language she had heard. Although I respect my Aunt's faith and convictions and share many of her beliefs, I defended the Smashing Pumpkins and those who listen to them, or any rock band. The discussion became heated. It got to the point that I felt that my Aunt was implying that anybody that listened to "that" kind of music was going to hell, including my Uncle and me.

I have to tell you, and I'm not ashamed either, I spent several years homeless living in shelters. This was when my mental illnesses were raging out of control and untreated. In one paticular shelter I had to stay in, there was a nightly chapel where volunteers from various Protestant Churches came and gave us sermons. Don't get me wrong about the things I'm about to say. I was deeply grateful to have a roof over my head for the night. That cot in a room with about 30 other homeless men was my home while I stayed there. As thankful as I was, those sermons used to absolutely get me into a total rage. The general message, as I heard it, was that we were homeless because we didn't know Jesus. If we got right with Jesus our homelessness would end and we'd be blessed beyond belief. Our problem was, we didn't know God. I used to sit there getting hotter and hotter, thinking, "You're Wrong." "You're Wrong." "I know God, I've been talking to him since childhood, and I honestly believe he listens." I knew that I was homeless because of my reckless behaviour and irrational decisions. Not because I didn't know Jesus. I had accepted Christ as Saviour long before I lost everything.

In that car, riding back home with my Aunt and Uncle, the feelings I had took me right back to that chapel. It was really all I could do not to go into a rage. I was hot and shaking. My last response to her was, "I'm at the point I don't want to talk about it." My Aunt made another remark, and again I said, "I'm at the point I don't want to talk about it." The rest of the ride was cold and silent. When I got to my apartment we were cordial. There were no hugs like there usually were. I think I'm still trying to process what happened. I haven't spoken to my Aunt yet and normally we talk often. Of course, I may be jumping the gun. It's only been three days but I could tell from the cold parting it will be much longer. I had enjoyed a wonderful relationship with her before this ride home. One heated discussion, and my Aunt's attitude of intolerance changed everything. I'm hoping after a cooling off period we can mend this unfortunate rift. Enjoy Life...